Episode 206: The Terrible Trifecta

This week on The Watchtower, it’s a perfect storm.

Doing this show is always a blast, but there are three instances in which it’s even more fun:

1.) There is a big-budget superhero movie to review (ie Green Lantern).
2.) There is an issue to discuss that transcends the books themselves (ie racial or gender equality in comics)
3.) When one of the comic book publishers lobs us up a softball by doing something monumentally stupid (ie spoiling Ultimate Spider-Man #160 the day before it’s released).

As you can see, this week, we have all three.

Plus, The Forecast and the 10th edition of Donnie Does The DCU!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 at 6:14 pm and is filed under Weekly Podcast. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “Episode 206: The Terrible Trifecta”

1. miguel gonzalez
    3:19 am on June 23rd, 2011

I was actually wondering why they had taken a break from “Grounded” in Superman #712 and then I ran into this article on comics alliance. You guys said you love talking about issues that transcends the books themselves so maybe this is a topic you guys can give your two cents on next week. Here is the link in case you have not read it. http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/22/superman-712-muslim/

2. Phil
    7:20 am on June 23rd, 2011

I’ve gotta agree with Donnie. Green Lantern had parts I liked but overall it was not good. The other Corps were cool, Sinestro in particular was tight. And the musical score was horrible. One thing though Donnie, how could you say this was better then Thor?

3. Moss
    8:19 am on June 23rd, 2011
  4. Karine
    10:11 am on June 23rd, 2011

I made a post about my thoughts and experience about Women In Comics a little while ago and I have to completely agree with Moss: the going back into the well of established talent rather than looking for new people has been my experience in animation, and thankfully it’s one of the reasons I get calls for work in storyboards even if the market is mostly dead. There’s a safety-net value in going for the known artist rather than the newcomer. I do think there are a lot of people (a lot of them women?) who would rather go the webcomic route than try to get into the “Big Two”, and each person has their own reasons.

The “I just want the best comic for my dollar” and not caring whether it was made by a man or a woman is something that I wish was more widespread. Sure I think women and men have different things to bring to a creative endeavour, but it’s not solely due to their gender. And if I ever get hired for a project, I don’t want it to be because I fill a quota, I want it to be because my portfolio and experience are the ones that fit best.

Anyways. I just wanted to say I held my thumbs up at my computer when I heard you say those words above, Moss. Thanks for that.

5. Jessi MacCormack
    10:37 pm on June 27th, 2011

I liked GL. The wife and I both liked it better than Thor. I think I did notice the score and for a second and I was like “it kind of sounds like the score of Superman”. Honestly, I started to fall asleep during the part where the giant octopus shit-cloud attacks the city, but then I thought of a presentation I had to give later that week that I hadn’t prepared for yet and it got my adrenaline back up. All-In-all I was more impressed with the FX than you guys give it credit for. The 3D was actually valid, not like Thor where the only shit in 3D were the beginning and end credits.

X-Men Fist Class was pretty dope and I really think they should introduce that red Nightcrawler guy into the comics somehow.

I think they should arrest Aunt May for the murder of Electro. That’s not how Spider-Man gets down.

6. Ryan C.
    1:55 pm on June 28th, 2011

Just had to throw in a quick comment as a long time, huge fan of Alpha Flight (yes, we do exist). And I’m not even Canadian (but I am from Montana, USA, which I’ve had people tell me they thought was part of Canada, so I guess that’s close to being Canadian).

Alpha Flight back in the day was one of my absolute favorite comics. It kills me that people want to bad-mouth it — it was a great series. I am so stoked that they brought it back, even if it is only for an 8-issue run. Now I do admit that both the 2nd and 3rd series were sub-par, so I’m hoping this new series is more like the original. And bring on the Easter Eggs (I’m really disappointed the series isn’t at least 12 issues, because how else are you going to replicate the original’s issue #12 cover like both the 2nd and 3rd series did?).